You see this almost every day from one organization or another. You get telephone calls. You get letters. You see it on television. You hear it on the radio.
Like most non profits we rely on donations and memberships from people just like you to keep our group alive. Your next question is probably, “Why should I donate to the First Flight Society?” What do they actually do?
Did you know that If it wasn’t for the First Flight Society there wouldn’t even be a Wright Brothers National Memorial in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina? Under the name Kill Devil Hills Memorial Association, a group of local businessmen petitioned the US Congress to Fund and build a monument to the Wright Brothers’ achievement of 1903.
Though primarily known as the group that puts on the annual celebration at the Wright Brothers National Memorial every December 17th, that is not all that we do. Our primary mission is to memorialize Orville and Wilbur Wright, first in the world to successfully achieve powered flight in a heavier than air machine, on December 17, 1903 at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. First Flight Society invites and promotes visits to the Wright Brothers National Memorial, so all may see the birthplace of powered flight. First Flight Society contributes to the advancement of aviation through programs, activities, education and the arts.
Sounds impressive, but what does this mean to you? The primary duty of the FFS is to promote aviation education, concentrating on the work of the Wrights. Since 1966 the Society has been responsible for the Paul E Garber Shrine. The Shrine honors those individuals and groups that have achieved significant “firsts” in aviation’s development. Inductees include Charles Lindbergh, John Glenn and most recently Katherine Johnson (Hidden Figures).
Is that it? Not by a long shot. Here are some of our other achievements:
- Created Scholarship at Outer Banks Community Foundation for students pursuing aviation education
- Created an Endowment Fund at Outer Banks Community Foundation
- Produced and expanded events and programs at Wright Brothers National Memorial throughout the year
- Established the First Flight Society Young Artists Aviation Contest
- Established an Aviation Education Committee to expand the knowledge of the Wright Brothers’ legacy and bring aviation education programs to students in Dare County and throughout the world.
If any of this sounds worthwhile to you, we would appreciate your support through a donation, a membership or even a purchase from our online store.